When I posted a pic of my Doughnut French Toast on Instagram recently, lots of you asked for the recipe, so I thought I’d share it on here in time for weekend brekkie inspiration!
If you’re familiar with French Toast (or eggy bread as some call it), then this is pretty much it with a couple of little tweaks. It’s my version of a Nigella special.
What you need:
- Plain white bread
- Eggs (average 1 per person)
- Vanilla Extract
- frying pan
- oil (coconut if poss) or butter
- Whisk the eggs lightly with a fork & add a drop of Vanilla Essence
- Slice bread in half (it’s too floppy to work with in whole slices)
- Lift bread with a fork and dip in egg to coat, let any excess run off and add to medium hot frying pan.
- Flip over when golden, add to plate and sprinkle with sugar.
It’s the vanilla and sugar that make this taste donut-esque, so experiment with quantities until it’s right for you… I just add a few drops. You could add some fruit fritters to make it all more healthy - just add chunks of fruit to the pan for a minute until they soften, once the bread is all cooked - and serve on top.
A couple of you have already tried this and are now hooked, (I was impressed by Kate’s today here) so if you give it a go, let me know - and enjoy!